- Transasia, one of India’s leading in-vitro diagnostic companies, has been conferred the ‘India Medical Devices Export Company of the Year’ Award by the Ministry of Chemicals Fertilizers, Government of India. Transasia was the first Indian in-vitro diagnostic company to manufacture and export state-of-the-art blood analysers and reagents, and has been doing since the 1990s.
- Transasia’s main focus remains on emerging countries in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, and Eastern Europe. In Asia, besides India, it caters to the diagnostic needs of countries such as Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, and Vietnam. With over 14 overseas acquisitions in countries as varied as the Czech Republic, Germany, U.K, France, Italy, Russia, Turkey, and the US, Transasia serves millions, and contributes to the growth of the economy through its exports to over 110 countries.
SIX HOMEGROWN MEDICAL DEVICES MANUFACTURERS OF INDIA
1TRANSASIA BIO-MEDICALS LTD.
- Trivitron is a leading manufacturer of Imaging and Diagnostics equipment in India. They have nine factories in five locations — Chennai, Mumbai, Pune, Helsinki, and Ankara. They were a 100 per cent trading company in 2010, and today, 85 per cent of their profit – and more than two-thirds of their revenue – comes from manufacturing.
- Trivitron acquired companies abroad for absorbing the technology in India, technologies such as newborn screening and point-of-care technology, which is necessary for growth markets. Trivitron leads innovation in the areas of Newborn Screening, In-Vitro Diagnostics, Imaging & Radiology, Radiation Protection, Critical Care and Operating Room Solutions, thus engraving its name as a holistic healthcare provider. They manufacture and distribute exceptional medical technology products to 165 countries.
3POLYMED MEDICAL DEVICES
- Polymed was conceived and established in 1995 by a group of engineers and technocrats dedicated to their vision of providing the highest quality of healthcare. They started manufacturing activities in April 1997 at Faridabad. They hold over 145 patents in this sector. They received the “GOLD” Patent Award in 2015, in recognition of commendable contribution in Medical Devices from the Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council of India (set up by the Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Govt. of India.)
- Polymed has 4 domestic manufacturing facilities in Haryana, Uttarakhand, and Rajasthan, and 2 manufacturing facilities in China and Egypt. They produce over 3 million disposable medical devices per day, covering 125 different products. They are the largest exporter of disposable medical devices from India, catering to over 100 countries.
4HINDUSTAN SYRINGES & MEDICAL DEVICES LIMITED (HMD)
- HMD was founded in 1957, and is a closely held family corporation. HMD was the first company in the world to launch a comprehensive range of sizes of Auto Disable Syringes for curative segment. Their primary markets are USA, Europe, India, the Middle East, and their secondary markets include Africa and South-East Asia. HMD has seven plants in different locations in South Asia, from where it produces items such as syringes, needles, I.V. cannulas, surgical blades, and blood collection sets, among others.
5SAHAJANAND MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIES (SMT)
- Established in 1998 and based in Gujarat, SMT is part of the Sahajanand Group. They are a leading developer and manufacturer of minimally invasive coronary stent systems, with one of the broadest product portfolios in the industry. They were the first company to secure a CE mark for the biodegradable polymer-based drug-eluting stents. Their portfolio includes drug-eluting stents, bare metal stents, balloon catheters, and inflation devices.
- SMT has a manufacturing facility in Surat, Gujarat and an R&D center in Dublin, Ireland. SMT also exports its portfolio of devices to over 65 countries, including the UK, Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands.
6MERIL LIFE SCIENCES
- Established in 2006, Meril was launched in line with the healthcare diversification plan of Bilakhia Group. They are a leading manufacturer of In-Vitro Devices (IVD) in India.
- Their manufacturing facility in Gujarat manufactures Cardiovascular, Orthopedics, Diagnostics and Endo-Surgery devices. The facility also houses an R&D center, through which Meril plans to cater to the global IVD market and become a leader in the Indian IVD industry. Currently, Meril has direct sales and representatives offices in India, Germany, Turkey, USA, China, and Brazil, and a strong distribution model spread over 102 countries across continents.
As on September 2018