BHARATMALA PARIYOJANA – Visionary Corridor across India
- Bharatmala Pariyojana is an umbrella scheme of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH).
- The scheme aims to optimize the efficiency of movement, both freight and passenger, across India by developing critical infrastructure – corridors, highways, waterways, etc.
- It also aims to create direct and indirect employment in the sector besides enabling National Highway linkages for over 500 districts in the country.
- This ambitious programme has subsumed all existing highway projects.
2 KEY FEATURES
- Improvement in the quality of roads
- Improvement in the efficiency of corridors through operationalization of Multimodal Logistics Parks and by addressing the issue of choke points.
- Improvement in the levels of connectivity in the North East and also increasing alignment of connectivity efforts with inland waterways
- Emphasis on the use of science and technology in planning, implementing and monitoring of the programme.
- Economic Corridors [9,000KM]
- Inter-corridor and feeder roads to National and Economic Corridors [6,000KM]
- National Corridors Efficiency Improvement [5,000KM]
- Border and International connectivity roads [2,000KM]
- Coastal and Port connectivity roads [2,000KM]
- Green-field expressways [800KM]
4 LOOKING FORWARD
- Bharatmala Pariyojana focuses on the enhancement of existing infrastructure and therefore catalyses the Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan and Make in India programme.
- The use of technology-based and scientific planning will pave the way for the practice of Asset Monitoring and Project Preparations in the future.
- Further, with efficient highway connectivity in the North-East, a boost in tourism and in the infrastructure development sector is anticipated.